Every year, at tournament time, I fill out a bracket. Every year, I put KU as the ultimate winner. Obviously, it doesn't always happen, and it didn't happen last night either. But I so believe and love my team I think it is possible that they can win every year. I'm ever the optimist!
We didn't play our best last night. The Jayhawks had some great moments and really pulled it together in the second half. But, my team made quite a few stupid mistakes that could have made a difference. Whether that difference would have meant only being 2 behind as opposed to 8 or a win, I'm not sure. They faced a formidable team, the best team this past season. Kentucky dominated, which is hard to deny. And, honestly, I'm okay with that.
| Me hanging out with a Clydesdale before the Orange Bowl, 2008 |
Basketball is different though. At KU, basketball is in our blood. We love, adore, and eat up basketball! We expect our teams to win. And why not? Every coach, save one, has had a winning record at KU. Not many schools can say that (and certainly not Mizzou). The only coach who had a losing record was our first coach, James Naismith, the inventor of the game.
I find myself getting irritated by people who try to claim that KU always chokes in the NCAA. That is so far from the truth. After all, under Bill Self, our current coach, we have only gotten eliminated in one of the first 2 rounds 3 times (2005, 2006, 2010). The only earlier that we left was in 2009 in the Sweet 16. Otherwise, we have made it to the Elite 8 or beyond. For some reason, though, commentators and others like to emphasize our losses instead of our incredible history of wins or even the fact that we have appeared in the NCAA Tournament every year since 1990. Not many teams can say that.
As a fan, I not only love my team, but despise others who I feel wronged us. Heck, I don't even like our former coach, Larry Brown, who I feel wronged KU. KU got all these sanctions from the NCAA while he disappeared for the NBA. I especially don't like Duke and Coach K. And don't get me started on former Duke player, Christian Laettner.
My Jayhawk love will continue through my life. I hope I can pass it on to my daughter. One of these days, when she is a bit older, I hope to take her to a KU basketball game at Allen Field House. Until then, I'll keep trying to teach her the Jayhawk chant!
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KKKKKKKK UUUUUUUUU!
No comments:
Post a Comment