| Grace sporting her shades and ready to go. |
This spring has been very unusual. I'm happy that it didn't get hot early, like the past two springs; however, it has been unusually cold. We even had over a foot of snow on March 31. Mother Nature must have known of my plans and not liked them. She blocked me at every turn and training became virtually non-existent, only going on walks a couple of times from mid-March to now.
I also faced another hurdle a little over two weeks ago when we left for our vacation. I missed a step walking into the garage and broke my little toe as well as bruising or twisting my ankle. Oh, and did I mention I did this on my good leg? So, my toe and ankle have been in pain for the last 2 weeks. I wasn't sure if I would still be able to go on the 5K, but decided I should go for it. Then last night, I faced yet another "injury," this time my right shoulder. I pulled a muscle resulting in a lot of pain. My concern was being able to lift things, like the stroller and the baby's car seat, out of the car. My family solved that problem this morning by coming with me. I would walk while they would sit and watch.
| Fat Ass 5K crowds |
So, this morning I set off to achieve my first goal of walking a 5K at the Fat Ass 5K in downtown Springfield, IL. I figured with little training and some pain that finishing it was unlikely. I was okay with that though. I modified my goal from finishing the event to at least completing one lap, 1.7 miles. Before the race, I met up with my friend, Coreen, so she and I could walk together as I pushed my girls in the double stroller.
| I'm pushing the stroller as we complete the first lap (#101 is Coreen) |
The Fat Ass is a hoot! It raises funds for local charities, and people have fun with it. There were people walking and running dressed as Elvis, pigs, in tutus, and so much more. As Coreen and I walked, we ran across entertainment as well, such as bands, belly dancers, hip hop dancers, a German musician, clowns, and a roller derby team, all encouraging the participants. Additionally, there are stops along the route, the first being a beer stop. Keep in mind that the walk started at 10 a.m. Many of the participants stopped and had their first beer of the day by 10:20 a.m. We also got to eat some donut holes that were passed out to us, something my two-year-old enjoyed. There was a station for corn dogs, but I don't like them and Coreen wasn't interested so we passed on that.
I was unable to complete the 5K, but I did go a bit farther than just one lap. I was feeling good and pushed myself a bit more. After a few more blocks, my body let me know it was done so we ended the race by heading back. In the end, I walked about 2 miles. Overall, the Fat Ass was great fun. I'm looking forward to next year's event. Maybe I'll wear a feather boa and a tiara to it. We'll see. Until then, I am signing up for my next 5K, the Color Blaze 5K, in early June. Looks like I have some training to do because my goal is to finish it!
| Done! I walked at least 2 miles! |
So fun! And I love all the pics!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Amy!! :)
DeleteWay to go!! You look like you had a blast.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ginger! I sure did! I'm looking forward to the next one.
Delete