Friday, November 12, 2010

Changes

Since I've been pregnant, a lot of changes have happened to me.  I'm sure this is not surprising to anyone, least of all me, but I'm sometimes stunned by how much things have changed.  Quite a bit has changed and I'm 17 weeks 3 days.  I'm sure I'll face even more changes in the future. Here is a current list (and is likely not all inclusive):

1.  My Body
Yes, this one is the most expected of them all.  My body is shifting and changing.  I started noticing a small baby bump around 8 weeks.  Chris was able to see it then too, but no one else.  Clothing hid it quite well.  Now, my bump is large enough to show.  There are some weeks where my waistline grows an inch and others where it grows 2 inches.  I measure every week. Also, I think I may be feeling the baby, although not every day.  Sometimes I'll feel little flutters.  I wasn't sure what I was feeling, but mentioned it to my doctor who made me think that I am feeling the baby.

Additionally, I have a bit of lower back pain on occasion and hip pain.  My body is stretching to accommodate Baby G, so this is to be expected.  Oh, and let's not forget my boobs---what I prefer to call my "girls".  I've always been very blessed in that area, but now, I'm even more so.  I've already gone up one cup size and I'm about to go up another.  I'm just trying to delay buying some new bras a bit because that gets expensive.  To be honest, I was hoping that since I was already blessed that I would need to grow anymore in that area.  Boy, I was wrong.  That being said, I've lost 12 pounds since getting pregnant, and while I've gone up almost 2 cup sizes, I've now gone DOWN one band size.  Wow.

2. My Appetite
For the most part, my appetite has decreased.  I think the main reason for this is the morning sickness that still hasn't gone away.  I did start to lose my appetite a bit before morning sickness started.  I just wasn't that hungry.  Over time, my stomach has shrunk.  Now it doesn't take a lot to fill me up and make me full.  However, there are some days when I feel constantly hungry.  Again, though...it doesn't take much food to satisfy me.  I can eat a small thing of applesauce or watermelon or even 2 small Nilla Wafers, and I feel sated.  On days I'm hungry like that, I just end up eating a lot of small snacks every couple hours.

3. My Taste in Foods
My tongue has now decided that somethings that I used to love, don't work for me anymore.  And, there are some things I NEED to eat.  The first change I noticed (and noticed with my last pregnancy) is my tolerance for spicy foods.  I must be clear before I explain.  I have not had any issues with heartburn yet.  So, the tolerance is NOT related to heartburn.  Before I was pregnant, I used to LOVE spicy foods.  Now, I can barely eat spicy foods without feeling like my mouth is on fire.  My lovely husband does not appreciate spicy foods, but doesn't mind a little kick.  His idea of a kick used to make me laugh. ("What kick, honey?  I don't detect anything." I would tell him.).  Now, I'll be going on about how my mouth is on fire, and he looks at me like I'm crazy.  His usual response is "This isn't spicy.  I can detect somewhat of a kick but it is barely noticeable."

Other taste things--I'm not a huge fan of bread rolls anymore.  The just don't taste right to me.  They are no longer satisfying.  The same thing with hamburgers.  They do nothing for me.  They don't taste great, but they don't taste awful.  There is a bit of a bland taste to them.  However, salad is awesome!!  I'm loving salads and craving them.  In particular, I crave the Pasta House Salad, a good restaurant quality Caesar salad, or Olive Garden salad.

4. Breathing
I was diagnosed with asthma when I was 7 or 8 years old.  I never grew out of it.  However, it hasn't been bothering me much in the last several years.  A blessing!  Until recently, that is.  Starting around 10 weeks, I started having issues with my asthma.  I actually found myself needing to use my inhaler 1-2 times a week.  Then, at 14 weeks, it got even worse.  For a few days (until I got into the doctor), I would walk 4-10 feet and have to sit down to catch my breath.  I was using my inhaler not only every day, but multiple times in a day.  So, now I am on Advair and it is a major blessing!  I can breath again!  Apparently, 1/3 of pregnant women have their asthma get worse.  I guess that had to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment